a Roofer or Waterproofer
What Do They Do
Roofers specialize in putting roofs on buildings and other structures to make them waterproof and weatherproof. They apply composition shingles, tile, slate and composition roofs. They use modern equipment to handle their materials, thereby lessening the physical exertion that was formerly required. Roofers are also called up to waterproof and damp-proof walls and other building surfaces.
With the exception of waterproofing of some walls, the roofers work outdoors in all kind of weather and only shut down operations when the weather becomes too severe. Most of the time they work on the top of buildings installing roofing materials. In their work, they do a great deal of climbing, kneeling, standing and walking.
Interest and Temperament
Roofers must have no fear of height, have a good sense of balance and a better-than average sense of safety for themselves and their co-workers. Persons wishing to enter this type of work should enjoy working with their hands and accept working outside, sometimes under unpleasant weather conditions.
- Minimum age of 18
- Good physical condition (able to perform the work of the trade)
- Applicants selected must be willing to take a physical exam
- American Citizen or declaration of intent
Educational Background Recommended
Math, science, mechanical drawing
Admission Requirements of the Joint Apprentice Committee
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- 30 Days of work experience (or helper)
- Drug/alcohol testing in accordance with the JATC written policy
Terms of Apprenticeship Training
- Apprenticeship shall be four (4) years
- Minimum of 3600 hours of on-the-job training
- Minimum of 144 hours of related classroom instruction per year
- Probation period – Six months
- Indentured to Joint Apprenticeship Committee and assigned to a roofing contractor
- Raises every six months if training hours are secured
Application and Information
Roofer and Waterproofers JATC
4535 Hill Ave.
Toledo, OH 43615-5301
Telephone: (419) 531-5911
Fax: (419) 531-4392
The recruitment, selection, employment, training and promotion of apprentices shall be without discrimination based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, disability/handicap or veteran status.