What Do They Do
Bricklayers construct walls, partitions, fireplaces, chimneys and other structural forms from brick or other masonry materials such as firebrick, concrete, cinder or gypsum block. They work with any materials put together with mortar using the trowel, chisel, jointer, brick hammer for cutting bricks and power brick cutting saws. They understand and work from blueprints. They also use measuring, leveling and aligning tools to check their work.
Much of the work is outdoors and generally depends on suitable weather conditions. The work is active and often strenuous, including stooping and lifting. Prolonged standing is also required. Bricklayers must have the ability to work at heights.
Interest and Temperament
Persons interested in this field would be involved in a variety of duties requiring fairly close tolerances. They should enjoy working with their hands and accept working outside under many different weather conditions. Good eyesight is especially important, as well as careful, accurate work and manual dexterity.
- Minimum age of 18
- American citizen or declaration of intent
- Good physical condition
Educational Background Recommended
Reading, math, science, drafting, blueprint reading and welding
Admission Requirements of the Joint Apprentice Committee
- High school diploma or G.E.D. (provision of G.E.D. certificate/score sheet)
- Provision of high school transcript
- Valid Driver’s License
Terms of Apprenticeship Training
- Apprenticeship shall be four (4) years
- Minimum of 4800 hours of on-the-job training (1200 hours per year)
- Minimum of 144 hours of classroom instruction per year
- Probationary period of 60 days
- Operates under the “Intent To Hire” Program
- Indentured to Joint Apprenticeship Committee & Contractor
- Raises every six months if training hours are secured
Application and Information
4535 Hill Ave.
Toledo, OH 43615-5301
Telephone: (419) 531-5911
Fax: (419) 531-4392
The recruitment, selection, employment, training and promotion of apprentices shall be without discrimination based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, disability/handicap or veteran status.